Magna-LG Electronics JV Targets Electrified Powertrains

Teaming up on electrification


Facebook Share Icon LinkedIn Share Icon Twitter Share Icon Share by EMail icon Print Icon

LG Electronics and Magna International have formed a joint venture to produce a variety of components and systems for electrified vehicles, including:

  • E-motors
  • Inverters
  • On-board chargers


The deal, which is expected to close next July, will broaden and accelerate the partners electrification capabilities—including a complete electric driveline.

Combined Operations

Tentatively called LG Magna e-Powertrain, the JV is valued at about $1 billion and will employ 1,000 people at existing LG locations in the U.S., South Korea and China. LG will own 51% of the venture, with Magna holding the remaining 49%.

The new company combines Magna’s electric powertrain expertise and manufacturing capabilities with LG’s expertise in component development for e-motors and inverters.

Initial customers will include General Motors and Jaguar Land Rover.

What They’re Saying

“By combining our strengths, we expect to gain investment efficiency and speed to market with synergies to achieve more, all while continuing to capitalize on the acceleration of the electrified powertrain market,” says Magna President Swamy Kotagiri, who will succeed Don Walker as CEO on Jan. 1.

Adds Kim Jin-yong, president of LG’s Vehicle Component Solutions business: “Manufacturers need to be disruptive to maintain leadership positions in electrification and, through this deal, LG is entering a new phase in its automotive components business, a growth opportunity with enormous potential.”


  • Assembly Plants: How They Compare

    Here's an overview of the study of assembly plant productivity that gets the undivided attention of all automakers: "The Harbour Report." Although the Big Three companies are getting better, they still have a way to go. But given the levels of competition, better won't be good enough for some plants, it seems.

  • Topology Optimization Explained

    Topology optimization cuts part development time and costs, material consumption, and product weight. And it works with additive, subtractive, and all other types of manufacturing processes, too.

  • Building by Bonding: BMW, the i3 and Carbon Fiber

    BMW brings carbon fiber into mass production: reducing vehicle weight, parts, and production time.

Gardner Business Media - Strategic Business Solutions