Conti Lowers Outlook Again
Continental AG has lowered its guidance for fiscal 2019, mainly because of an anticipated downturn in industrywide production.
#economics
Continental AG has lowered its guidance for fiscal 2019, mainly because of an anticipated downturn in industrywide production.
Conti previously predicted global vehicles production would match last year’s volume. Now the supplier of electronics, tires and other components expects car and truck production will drop 5% in 2019.
Conti also warns of an unspecified increase in warranty claims and “unexpected changes” in customer demand.
The company predicts its second-quarter consolidate sales will total about €11.2 billion ($12.6 billion), compared with €11.4 billion in the same period last year.
Conti, which lowered its outlook twice in 2018, now predicts its sales this year will fall €1 billion-€2 billion below its previous forecast of about €46 billion ($52 billion). The company anticipates its adjusted pretax earning margin this year will be 7%-7.5%, down from its previous guidance of 8%-9%.
RELATED CONTENT
-
VW Warns of Higher Costs to Develop EVs
CEO Herbert Diess says the €20 billion ($23 billion) Volkswagen AG has budgeted to electrify its entire vehicle lineup won’t be enough to meet that goal.
-
Ford’s $42 Billion Cash Cow
F-Series pickups generate about 30% of the carmaker’s revenue. The tally is about twice as much as what McDonald’s pulls in.
-
China and U.S. OEMs
When Ford announced its 3rd quarter earning on October 24, the official announcement said, in part, “Company revenue was up 3 percent year over year, with net income and company adjusted EBIT both down year over year, primarily driven by continued challenges in China.” The previous day, perhaps as a preemptive move to answer the question “If things are going poorly in China, what are you doing about it?, Ford announced that it was establishing Ford China as a stand-alone business unit.