Ford Insists It’s Not Giving Up on Cars
Ford Motor Co. Chairman Bill Ford tells shareholders the company’s decision to cut sedans from its U.S. lineup is intended to help the company reinvent the American car, not retreat from the car market.
#economics
Ford Motor Co. Chairman Bill Ford tells shareholders the company’s decision to cut sedans from its U.S. lineup is intended to help the company reinvent the American car, not retreat from the car market.
Last month Ford announced plans to shed virtually all conventional cars in North America, eventually leaving only the Mustang sport coupe. At the same time, the company said it will beef up its selection of crossovers, pickup trucks and vans.
The company’s dramatic shift in product mix aims to give consumers “what they’re telling us they really want,” says CEO Jim Hackett. Conventional cars have declined from a 48% share of the U.S. market five years ago to 33% in the first quarter of 2018, according to Autodata Corp.
RELATED CONTENT
-
Report Forecasts Huge Economic Upside for Self-Driving EVs
Widespread adoption of autonomous electric vehicles could provide $800 billion in annual social and economic benefits in the U.S. by 2050, according to a new report.
-
China and U.S. OEMs
When Ford announced its 3rd quarter earning on October 24, the official announcement said, in part, “Company revenue was up 3 percent year over year, with net income and company adjusted EBIT both down year over year, primarily driven by continued challenges in China.” The previous day, perhaps as a preemptive move to answer the question “If things are going poorly in China, what are you doing about it?, Ford announced that it was establishing Ford China as a stand-alone business unit.
-
Enterprise Edges into Self-Driving Car Market
U.S. rental car giant Enterprise Holdings Inc. is the latest company to venture into the world of self-driving vehicles.