Gardner Business Media, a global media and marketing company, is seeking a full-time mid-level Editor to grow its industrial business magazines and associated media platforms. This position is offered in Cincinnati, Ohio, and offers comprehensive benefits, a friendly, family-oriented work environment and possibility for career growth. Gardner employees are on a temporary work-from-home mandate due to Covid-19. We would consider a long-term work-from-home candidate.
About this Role
This position requires an organized, self-driven individual to write, edit and market content across a variety of formats. He or she should have strong writing skills and the desire to cultivate an interest in and understanding of manufacturing processes in order to speak directly to the concerns and interests of our audience of machining facility owners and managers. Magazine or newspaper experience is a must, and mechanical or technical interest/aptitude is a plus.
The Editor will:
- Cultivate a passion for industrial manufacturing sufficient to write and speak with confidence about the topics and technologies relevant to this work.
- Be comfortable working as part of a very small start-up team. This position will require an entrepreneurial can-do spirit, comfortable with performing any aspect of editorial and web production—from editing PR and doing web loading and optimization, to writing full length features.
- Write and edit content across a variety of formats, including print and digital editions, e-newsletters, blogs and social media outlets.
- Work with the Publisher to establish and follow the editorial calendar and establish content strategy.
- Travel independently to visit facilities to learn firsthand about technology successes.
- Seek, identify and develop original stories.
- Possess versatility. Length of writing will range from social media posts or short pieces (800 words or less), to long-form articles (around 2,000 words) that can be presented as features in the print magazines and online.
- Develop industry relationships and procure submitted content from outside authors.
- Be a self-starter. Gardner writing editors generally work independently, pursuing stories with minimal oversight, with the expectation that they will be able to meet agreed-upon deadlines.
- Have excellent time-management skills. Because longer articles in particular generally have long lead times (easily several months from first contact to story completion), the editor is invariably working on many stories at various stages of completion simultaneously.
- Be confident representing the magazine in meetings with advertisers and readers.
- Be comfortable with “live” performances such as video filming, webinar hosting or public speaking.
- The right person for this job will be smart, collaborative and self-driven.
- Four-year college degree or university program with 3+ years’ experience in a writing position or related technical field; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ability to optimize content for resonance, engagement, and SEO
- Excellent writing, storytelling, developmental editing, and communication skills
- Familiarity with social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn)
- Comfort with learning new technology
- Cooperative, enthusiastic attitude
A Bit About Us
Gardner Business Media is a global media company creating magazines and websites that accommodate deep-dive features and industry news, plus research cited internationally and events covering leading-edge manufacturing technologies, including 3D printing and the human-robotic interface. Alert and ready for the changes reshaping media, we are seeking players who will be ready to take us to the next level in immersive media experiences.
- GBM is located in the heart of Newtown Ohio, which is a little-known gem-- right across the street from a beautiful park with miles of walking and biking trails, and just around the corner from a craft brewery, sand volleyball and kayaking on the little Miami.
- We are family-friendly with flexible work hours and progressive management that values self-driven work and dedication over micro-managing.
- The most important quality we look for in employees is intelligence. If we hire good, smart people, other qualifications can be trained. As a result, you will be working in an environment with smart people who are good at what they do and want to be both taught and learned from. It’s both an inspiration and a positive challenge.
- We don’t take ourselves too seriously. We work hard, but there’s always laughter in the hallways and a celebration on the calendar.
- We aren’t widely known on career sites because we have fantastic retention. We foster an environment where people hang on to their jobs because they love them. In addition to young talent, currently employed at Cincinnati HQ are more than three-dozen employees who have 20+ years on staff. This is a place you can build a career.
Job type: Full Time
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Industry: Business to Business Publishing
Experience Level: Entry-Level
Company Size: 50-200 employees
Company Type: Private
Please submit a cover letter, resume and clips to Tonya Harris. HR Specialist.